Definition History Cars Boats Rec. Vehicles Blog Dealers
Conversions Technology Trucks Motorcycles Utility Forum Classified
 

 

 

The Waverley Company


1910 Waverley Coupe.

The Waverley Company produced electric cars in Indianapolis from 1898 to 1916. Originally a bicycle company, it was consolidated with the American Electric Vehicle Company in 1898. The bicycle company had been part of the “bicycle trust” created by Albert Pope and the electric cars would be produced through his company as he became interested in automobiles as well.

In 1904, as part of a company wide name change, the Waverley automobiles were renamed Pope-Waverley automobiles.  The move coincided with other name changes within the Pope Company like the Pope-Hartford, Pope-Toledo, and Pope-Tribune.  The Pope-Waverley Company continued to manufacture electric automobiles until 1908, when the company was struck with a financial crisis. The Pope Company sold off the Waverley department in Indianapolis to several local businessmen in September 1908. The company continued to run as the Waverley Company from 1909 until the company’s closing around 1916. 

Waverley automobiles were known for their luxury and beauty.  The company promoted their luxury and even used British names for its vehicles. Another aspect that was promoted was how quiet the vehicles were, even using the “silent Waverley electrics” as their ad campaign.  Some of the more popular models sold by Waverley were: the Silent Waverley Runabout, Stanhope, Surrey, Surrey, Coupe, and the Brougham.  Perhaps the Waverley Company’s most famous customers in Indiana were General Lew Wallace, who bought a Model 20a Surrey in 1902, and Madam C.J. Walker.

 

From Indiana Historical Society

 

 

 

 

 
 

ElectricVehiclesNews.com: About Us | Contact | Submissions | Privacy | Advertise | Site Map
Copyright 1998-2010 by
Amish Pleasures, Inc. All rights reserved.